Taking the Wrong Cue
- Israel's faith was being tested. (32:1; cf. 24:18)
- The patter from Egypt to Mt. Sinai - doubt, intercession, blessing.
- Now, where is Moses? What happened to him? What now?
- They were trying to connect with Jehovah (32:5-6)
- But where did this idea come from, to worship God with an idol calf?
- Perhaps, even likely, from the worship of an Egyptian god, Apis...
- God had clearly addressed this issue (20:4)
- Israel took the wrong cue!
- God was not pleased (32:7-10)
- It was not enough to simply seek God, to try to serve Him...
- If we are to truly please Him, we must seek Him on His terms and not our own. We must honor Him in the way that He wants to be honored.
- Congregational: Must follow God's desires for us. Not what man "thinks" is appropriate
- Familial: People will always be willing to tell you how to raise your child. What matters is what God thinks.
- Individual: Where do we choose to focus our time? The world will tell you "God just wants you to be happy."
- From whom are you taking your cue - especially regarding your soul's salvation? (Mt. 7:21; Lk.6:46)